The Whole-School Holiday lessons make up a spiral curriculum, in which each lesson focuses on a different aspect of Jewish holiday, value, or key subject. With some exceptions, Whole School Holiday lessons are built around a matrix that allows students to have an unique experience each year.
Whole School Hanukkah 6: Art of Hanukkah explores the art of the Hanukkiyah. Students will unpack the Hanukkiyah as a symbol, looking at the way it conveys the meanings of Hanukkah. Students will look at different texts associated with the Hanukkiyah and use them to trace this symbol’s history. This lesson also introduces the idea that Hanukkiyot are often designed after buildings.
- Grade 1–2: Hanukkah Symbols
- Grade 2–3: The Story of Hanukkah
- Grade 3–4: Return of the Junkyard Menorah
- Grade 4–5: Hanukkah Blessings
- Grade 5–6: Hanukkah Food
- Grade 6–7: The Art of the Hanukkiyah
- Grade 7–8: Three Hanukkah Problems