Home / Whole School Tu B'Shvat 3: Honi the Circle Maker
Grades: 3-4 The Whole-School Holiday lessons make up a spiral curriculum, in which each lesson focuses on a different aspect of Jewish holiday, value, or key subject. With some exceptions, Whole School Holiday lessons are built around a matrix that allows students to have an unique experience each year.
- Grade 1–2: Tu B'Shvat Celebrations
- Grade 2–3: The Four High Holidays
- Grade 3–4: Honi The Circle Maker
- Grade 4–5: Tree Blessings
- Grade 5–6: Tu B'Shvat Food
- Grade 6–7: Tu B'Shvat Seder
- Grade 7–8: A Day in the Life of a Verse
Honi ha-Me’aggel (the Circle Maker) was a renowned man in the period of the Second Temple who was said to have performed good deeds by using powers of prayer and by performing miracles wherever he went. In addition to the story we will read about Honi, Honi also prayed for a rainstorm during a drought, and the rain came. His name, the circle-maker, is derived from this event. This story of Honi is most often told when referring to ecology and the environment.